Hawke’s Bay Region
Councils of Hawkes Bay region
Councils of the region
Councils fully in the region:
- Hawke’s Bay Regional Council
- Central Hawke’s Bay District Council
- Hastings District Council
- Napier City Council
- Wairoa District Council
Councils partly in the region:
- Taupo District Council (see Waikato Region for details)
- Rangitikei District Council (see Manawatū-Whanganui Region for details)
All councils are required to review their representation arrangements (number of councillors, how they are elected etc.) at least every six years.
The following councils reviewed these arrangements prior to the 2019 local authority elections: Hawke’s Bay Regional Council, Central Hawke’s Bay District Council, Hastings District Council, Napier City Council and Wairoa District Council.
As a result of appeals/objections/referral of proposals not complying with fair representation requirements, the Local Government Commission was required to make determinations on the following councils’ final proposals:
On 7 February 2013 the Local Government Commission received an application for the union of the four districts in Hawke’s Bay and establishment of a unitary authority for the region. At Hawkes Bay Reorganisation you can view:
- the process the Commission took to: assess the application, release a draft proposal for a unitary authority covering all of Hawke’s Bay Region and release of a final proposal
- the outcome of the poll demanded on the final proposal which resulted in the defeat of the proposal.
Read more information about each council through the following links: